Want to join a company that’s changing the way cities work? Opti, a startup focused on continuous monitoring and adaptive control (CMAC) of stormwater infrastructure, is seeking an IoT Engineer to join our R&D team in Boston.
We are a small, multidisciplinary team of engineers working to invent and implement the next generation of internet-of-things-based, real-time environmental management. We uniquely combine data describing the actual state of the environment with weather forecasts to actively manage water storage infrastructure, increasing its effectiveness and helping keep water resources clean. To make this all happen, the R&D team builds, operates, and maintains a set of cloud services and embedded devices: collectively the Opti Platform. We are a small enough team that every engineer plays a crucial role in our success.
The right candidate has a background in either software engineering, electrical engineering, or computer engineering and has some experience developing both PCB-based hardware as well as the firmware that runs on it. Additionally, the ideal candidate is familiar with technologies outside of the hardware world (e.g. the use of REST APIs), embraces modern development practices such as the use of Git source control and unit testing, and has a drive to continue to improve development practices at Opti. Past experience in environmental monitoring is preferred as most of the systems we integrate with are in that context.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, contributing to the development and support of our Particle.io-based embedded products: creating new functionality, increasing unit-test and integration-test coverage, developing and maintaining product documentation and materials for sales-oriented product cut-sheets, and supporting our operations engineers with complex troubleshooting of both in-house and remote sensors, controls, and embedded devices. This position will report to Opti's VP of Information and Technology and will be instrumental in supporting existing services and producing new implementations and features on our platform.
Specific activities this role will take part in include:
- Designing and implementing local data collection, storage, and communications on our embedded products to seamlessly handle temporary network outages.
- Expanding the catalog of sensor and actuator integrations supported by our product line, including estimating scopes of work to integrate components.
- Overseeing ongoing development of continuous assessment of new hardware components and communication between internal parties and vendors.
- Further enhancing the overall transparency of our embedded stack by devising new strategies to manage observed failures.
- Improving our ability and ease of troubleshooting embedded firmware and hardware on devices spread across the country.
- Improving the data compression used to send data from the device to our cloud to further reduce operational costs.
- Integrating feedback from the first ~2 years of field runtime of our embedded products into next-generation designs as necessary.
You will be working with a group of passionate software, environmental, water resources, and mechanical engineers who are eager to learn and improve and who are committed to Opti’s vision of adaptive cities and safer and cleaner water.
Preferred candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related discipline. Experience and/or certifications in related computer science and information technology applications may be substituted for the degree concentration. Preferred candidate will also have 2 to 5 years of related experience. A background in science or engineering is beneficial.
Specific requirements include:
- Experience with embedded firmware development in C++;
- Experience writing and maintaining automated unit tests;
- Experience with a version control system such as Git;
- Strong communication skills and ability to work effectively as part of a small software development team;
- Familiarity with EAGLE PCB design software and with PCB design and test
PLEASE NOTE: Along with standard interviews, you will be asked to take and submit our coding test as part of your application. For this position, please submit our Optilot-VendingMachine test.
The below additional skills are a plus:
- Experience with the Particle.io platform is highly sought-after;
- Experience with Linux (Ubuntu) development environments;
- Industrial SCADA experience, in particular familiarity with serial messaging protocols such as Modbus;
- Familiarity with event-driven systems and hierarchical state machines;
- Use of major public cloud infrastructure, especially enterprise messaging systems such as Microsoft Azure Service Bus or Amazon Kinesis;
- Experience with a managed programming language such as C# or Java;
- Comfort around scientific and engineering concepts such as basic statistical analysis, time-series visualization, aggregation, etc;
- Experience with spec writing and other documentation tasks.
Opti offers competitive compensation and an employee-centered benefits package, including:
- Competitive base salary
- Stock options
- Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO/HMO health coverage
- Delta Dental coverage
- FSA, Dependent Care, and Qualified Parking and Transportation Accounts (IRS eligible)
- Paid parental leave policy